Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Our Spring Break


We actually went somewhere this year for spring break! Not such a good time to want to go to theme parks and such because EVERYONE is there doing the same thing. Nonetheless we had a great time in San Diego! It was a little chilly and drizzly a couple of days, but it was still great fun.

We left on Thursday and headed to an awesome Mexican restaurant right by the zoo. Best Mexican food I have had in a LONG time! We will definitely have to stop there again sometime. We went over to the zoo for an hour or two and saw most of the things we didn't get to see when we went for Vinny's B-day. The polar bears weren't out that day though... bummer.



Our little monkeys!




We got a great look at the hiphopipotomus. It was going around and around in a big loop and would come by every 30 seconds or so. It reminded Halle of an underwater ballerina. It is quite amazing how graceful a huge animal like that can be in the water.

Next we tried to go to the USS Midway an Aircraft carrier that is also a museum you can tour, but we didn't expect to be so late and they had already closed for the day. We went to Point Loma National Park instead. I wish we could have spent more time there because it was great. There was a really neat trail around the park that took you right next to the ocean the whole time. We really want to go back sometime soon and see more.





This is the Cabrillo monument commemorating the Spanish settlers that first came to the San Diego area. Captain Cabrillo was the first to land his ships there.




We went insde the light house and looked around. A family actually lived there round the clock to take care of the light house. I imagine it was a pretty lonely life with no one else around for miles and miles. Really neat little light house though.




My mom has been asking for a "belly shot" to see how far I am poking out these days. So, this is for you mom.

On our way to the hotel we passed the San Diego Temple, one of my favorites that I have never seen up close except from the freeway so we decided to stop and walk around. It is so very beautiful.





The next day we went to Legoland with Dallin and Kalani and their family. It started out raining, but by the time we got out of the aquarium it had stopped for the day. It was a great aquarium. One of the neatest we have been too so far. The kids liked all the Lego guys in scuba gear in the exhibits.







Legoland...





Halle won't quit talking about this safari ride. We waited in line for 40 minutes for it and it lasted 1.5 minutes. I guess it was worth the wait.





Mini land was really cool to see. It is amazing what you could do with Lego's.



Tyler said watching Vinny try to drive a car was the funniest thing he had ever witnessed. Apparently the kid can't drive! He would put his foot on the gas, but forget to steer and run into the wall over and over again. The guy running the ride finally had to steer him around the track.

Our last day of vacation we went to the Wild Animal Park. Again, it was kind of cold, but we still got to see everything we wanted to and had lots of fun. Halle has been BEGGING to get her face painted every time we go to the zoo or Sea World and we promised her last time we went to the zoo that she could this time. She wanted her whole face painted like a....


TIGER!!!



Vinny wanted, what else but a monkey. We didn't let him get his whole face because it would have been a runny mess in about five minutes. He was still happy with the monkey on his cheek.

Look at the one month old baby elephant! Cutest thing ever! It weighed in at 250 pounds at birth. YIKES!


The last thing we did for the day was visit the butterfly garden. Halle wanted to catch one SO bad, but they said you could not touch the butterflies.

We had a great time together and are glad we got to spend time with Dallin and Kalani and their family. Many of my favorite memories are from family vacations when I was younger and places we have visited with our kids. That time together is priceless.

8 comments:

Claudia said...

Kristen, thanks for the tummy shot, you are not looking too big, but seem to be carrying it high, must be a girlMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmm
Glad you had a great time, hug the kids for me miss you tons MOM

Cam and Mary said...

We love San Diego! Glad you had a fun time! I was happy to see a tummy picture too! :)

Carley said...

VERY cute tummy shot...that is about what I look like now and I don't even think I am showing yet...hahaha...oh well....feeling about like that hippo...that is what I feel like in the water...a graceful huge thing floating around....anyways....LOVE the tiger face Halle....that actually kind of scared me because I thought it was a real tiger! Lego land looks like a lot of fun...can't wait to go with you guys in less than a month:) Love you so much and miss you tons....see you soon:)))

Emily M said...

What a fun spring break!! San Diego is so fun! Definately one of our favorite places to visit! You look so cute with your little tummy. I bet hallie was in Heaven when you let her get her face painted! So fun!!

kimbereggl said...

What a fun trip!! You look GREAT also! That is a really cute family picture at the top..except for your little basketball tummy, you can't even tell you're pregnant...I sort of forgot until i saw the next picture. Halle and
Donovin had a blast, it looks like. Vinny is looking so much older..definately time for another baby in the family!! Love and miss you bunches.

Natalie said...

Now I'm really jealous and dying for a trip to San Diego. Greg served his mission in Carlsbad and we've been back a few times to visit, but I've never got to spend as much time in San Diego as I would like. It looks like so much fun. I had totally forgotten you were pregnant until I saw your cute tummy poking out. :) I love Halle and Vinny's faces. They are soooo cute! You guys need to get out here and visit again! Every time Brooklyn comes over she asks me if Halle is going to be there. Cute cousins!

P.S. I totally laughed out loud when I read your comment on my blog about Vinny dressing up as a princess. He is such a cute kid. I miss him and his voice and giggle. :)

Karlee Christiansen said...

I love love love San Diego! I need the name of that restaurant..I love trying new Mexican joints when I go down there.

The Andersens said...

um...you are a little behind on posting. seriously. get it together!! haha
please post some more! belly pics! kidling pics! i want to hear what you guys are up to!
love you!
alysia, topher & gracelyn